According to the Beckett's Landing Community Association (BLCA), the original church for this congregation was a wooden structure built in the mid-1800's and which subsequently burned down in 1906, when this replacement was built. This church was deconsecrated in June 2008.
The BLCA was originally formed to oppose the closure of the Church and to then ensure it wasn't transformed into something where it's historical charm would be lost. The preference would seem to have been a community hall. They seem to have been partially successful as it has sat empty ever since, although it certainly isn't a community hall (or anything else really). The pioneer cemetery is still active.